Pests, in general, can cause a lot of nuisance and damage in homes and ants are a prime example of that. Ant infestation is quite common and generally happens massively, and the most striking part is that ant infestation is not limited to particular geographical territories! Ants can invade your home for any reason, and if this is left unchecked, it can become a problem of an intolerable magnitude! Infact, how to get rid of ants is one of the most asked questions for which we try to get some answers in this article.
How to get rid of ants permanently from your homes – essential questions to ask
A large colony of ants can be very unhygienic for our homes, and not to mention, some of them can sting as well. They could cause a lot of damage to furniture, especially wooden ones.
That is why you should take immediate action whenever you notice the presence of ants in your homes. Apart from these, doesn’t it feel visually repulsive spotting a long line of ants around your pantry or burrowing into the freshly-potted plant in your balcony?
“How to get rid of ants permanently?” is a question you will find across the internet. It might also perturb you at times – how to get rid of ants permanently from my premises?
There are many ways on how to get rid of ants in your home. However, it is easier said than done. Also, since prevention is better than cure, it is always better to spot ant colonies and ant activities before that multiplies into a massive problem and leads to a devastating infestation!
If you see red ants in the house, you can employ powerful chemicals to flush them out or even take the help of home remedies to deal with the ant infestation. If the level of infestation is exceptionally high, it is always recommended to take professional service.
See also: How to get rid of lizards?
Why are ants considered pests?
Although certain ants are harmless, certain species of ants can be considered pests. Here’s a detailed overview of why ants are considered pests.
The impact of ants on health and hygiene
Ants have known germs – viruses, bacteria, harmful microbes and you would often find them near filthy sources rummaging for food. Ants pick up those disease-causing microbes and can spread those obnoxious organisms in our food.
Since they move in abundance, they can contaminate our food more effectively than any other type of insects whenever they come in contact with unprotected or uncovered food lying in our homes. Having a large colony of red ants in house can be a breeding ground for diseases like e.coli, salmonella, shigella, streptococcus, etc and this is one of the main reasons on why to get rid of ants.
Destruction of property
Besides messing up your home’s hygiene, ants can also cause considerable property damage.
- One reason is the carpenter ants. These ants are one of the largest species of ants worldwide, and just like termites, they can cause immeasurable damage to wooden structures in your home. The signs of their infestation can be subtle and difficult to notice at first. But suppose measures are not taken to get rid of ants they can devour the wooden structures like furniture from within, consume the wood pulp, and demolish them by making them papery and stripping them of their rigidity and resilience.
- Ants are always looking for creating colonies and nests near sources of water, food, and warmth. And what better than by making holes and burrows inside your walls, furniture, and even digging up your garden to create mounds of the earth!
Undoing all these impacts will require a lot of expertise and financial assistance.
Visually unattractive and creates a nuisance
Ants are visually unattractive and they can create a lot of nuisance with their sheer number. If you spot one ant in your home, there is a high chance of a colony living nearby. Even before you know it, ants might have formed colonies inside your attic, your garden compound, or within your house! Spotting a line of ants scampering over your floorboards can turn you off! They can get almost anywhere due to their small size, and some of them can have painful stings as well. Having red ants in the house can be a terrible sign, and if you have any, you need to immediately start thinking of how to get rid of ants permanently.
How to get rid of ants permanently inside and prevent further infestations?
Here are some significant ways on how to get rid of ants permanently from your home- the different types of ants. Most of them are pretty simple yet effective.
How to get rid of ants permanently: Black ants
Black ants are one of the most common ants, often found in gardens. They can live for almost 15 years and deliver excruciatingly painful stings due to the high content of formic acid in their mouths. Here are some typical remedies that you can try to get rid of black ants from your home.
- Make sure not to leave any food crumbs or sugary snacks outside. Ants are always searching for potent food sources, and they can reach most places for food. One way to get rid of ants is to keep it thoroughly clean, especially in your pantry, kitchen, food storage sections, utensils, and dining tables. Ensure that the jars’ lid where you store food is closed tightly, and opt for airtight containers to ensure additional safety.
- If there is any fruit that has gone rotten or any food that is left open for a long time, ants will come. So, ensure that you throw these away.
- Also, it’s not only our food, even pet foods if kept in the open unattended and not maintained properly may lead to ant infestation. Clean the pet food bowl properly after feeding your pet and keep the area clean.
- Fix any place in the house that has leaky pipes as ants look out for water especially in the summers.
- Remember not to leave any damp spots in your home, especially in the summer. Ants often gravitate towards cool and moist areas, including your sweaty clothes, to get away from the summer stench. So, if you have humidity and temperature control in your home covered, you won’t have to worry about how to get rid of ants permanently.
- Cornflour is a natural ingredient to destroy any colonies. Cornflour attracts ants as a food but the down point for ants is that they cannot digest these. This is why it acts as an effective pesticide. On seeing lot of ants, spray cornflour on them and later you can sweep or vacuum clean them. Also, you may make a paste of cornflour and water and apply in affected areas.
- The scent of any area plays a significant role in ant infestation. Certain smells highly repel them and can be used to get rid of ants. So if you can spray some strong-smelling substances, like eucalyptus or peppermint, you are already one step ahead of the ants.
- It would help if you also looked for the entry point of these ants. They generally creep inside our homes through holes in the doors or cracks in our walls. By following their trail, you can identify their entry points and reach the anthill. If you are worried about getting rid of ants permanently, make sure to destroy the anthill by poking holes in it and pouring boiling water or mild acid. It will be enough to exterminate the black ant infestation on your property finally!
What smell do ants hate?
The scent of any area plays a significant role in ant infestation. Certain smells highly repel them and can be used to get rid of ants. So if you can spray some strong-smelling substances, like eucalyptus or peppermint, you are already one step ahead of the ants.
Another unique fact about these ants is that they are choked by cinnamon. You can opt to sprinkle the cinnamon directly on them or even spray cinnamon oil and water on the anthill to prevent red ants in the house or get a water concoction of peppermint, garlic, lavender or cinnamon oil that works wonders by destroying probable entry points. The above trick is similarly effective with black pepper powder readily available in the market.
Another tip that experts mention is the use of baby powder in ant infested areas. Sprinkling the baby powder on areas where ants are infested is an easy way to get rid of ants. They don’t like the talcum powder and also hate crossing the talcum powder as the powder may get on to their bodies.
Turmeric helps in getting rid of ants. A line made of turmeric is places where ants generally frequent will ensure they never return. The oil in turmeric is believed to be an ant-repellent.
If you have problems of plenty of ants in your home garden or balcony, simply mix manure with neem paste and use it around. This is a very safe of getting rid of ants.
How to get rid of ants permanently: Fastest way
Red ants, too, can be a significant nuisance. So, here are particular tactics to get rid of red ants in the house as soon as you realise there is an infestation.
- What is the fastest way to get rid of ants in the house? The vinegar and water ant killer mixture works excellent when getting rid of red ants for good. If you have red ants in the house, mix vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio and spray it over all the possible entry points. If you see any red ants in the house, you can spray the mixture directly. This method also works effectively for destroying anthills occupied by red ants.
- One of the most popular tricks here is making a lemon and water mixture in a 3:1 ratio and using it just as the vinegar and water mixture. Vinegar is not always available, which is why you can go for lemons. Spray that on the ants, their entry points, and the anthills whenever you spot red ants in the house.
- Mint is one of the scents that ants hate. If you see red ants in the house, you can spray mint oil or get mint extract and spray it on all the entry points and the corners of your home. As this smell repels ants immensely, it can help you effectively get rid of them.
How to eliminate carpenter ants?
Carpenter ants are known to destroy wood and furniture and therefore lead to a massive financial breakdown. However, the following simple measures can be of value.
- The first thing to do here is to find wood damage in the house to bait these carpenter ants and reach their anthill. Then wait and set up bait.
- Carpenter ants, just like other ants, are drawn to sugary foods. So, one of the best ways to pull them out of their hiding spots is by leaving sugary crumbs at suspected places and waiting to see if it works or not. You can also mix baking soda and sugar in a 1:1 mixture, as the carpenter ants will be drawn to the sugar but will die consuming the baking soda.
- Another great way to deal with the hitch of how to get rid of ants permanently is by pouring boric acid in places you think these ants have infested – mostly mouldy, damp, and wooden furniture are their favourite spots. Make sure to check your attic if it hasn’t been cleaned in quite a while and houses moist, discarded furniture.
- Pheromone are scented trails that ants leave back whenever they walk and these act as maps for the ants. With these trails ants enter your houses and spaces and cause havoc. You can easily remove the pheromone trail by mixing glass cleaning spray and dishing washing liquid and spraying all over wherever ants are found to be entering or being present. Wipe out the excess liquid and repeat often to get desired results.
- You can also clean your house with soap and water to get rid of the trail of pheromones left by carpenter ants to find food. You can also use strong-smelling essential oils, water, and vinegar mixture to get rid of the pheromones completely.
- Another effective way on how to get rid of ants is to use the tea tree oil. Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with water and spray it in all the places where ants are infested. You can also put this mixture in cotton balls and place it in areas where ants are present. Note that keep the tea tree oil away from your pets as they can cause harm to them.
- Dealing with carpenter ants can be trickier than other ant species, so you should call a professional ant exterminator to help you if the infestation has gone out of hand and you are already emptying your coffers, paying for the damages.
How to exterminate ants that love sugar and sweets?
If you are wondering how to permanently get rid of ants lured by sugar and sweets, employ the following hacks.
- One of the best ways to get rid of ants that love sugary items is to keep the house thoroughly cleaned. Use a soap and water mixture to clean your home, and use vital essential oils to keep the scent of food away.
- Another thing that you can use to get rid of these obnoxious sugar-loving critters and other species is borax. Borax can be a dangerous element for pets and humans, but they are highly effective in getting rid of red ants in the house.
Take great care while using borax. Firstly wear safety gloves before handling borax. In a disposable container, make a mixture of half a spoon of borax, 10 spoons of sugar and a cup of lukewarm water. Dip old rags of clothes or cotton in this mixture and place them in areas of ants to permanently get rid of ants. Once done, dispose the container.
- If you want to go for something quite as effective but less dangerous, you can use cornstarch to seal their entryways and areas where ants show up frequently.
How to get rid of fire ants?
Fire ants are among the most dangerous ants and are known to attack aggressively if their mounds are disturbed. If you find these ants anywhere near your vicinity, immediately take steps to remove them permanently. Although seeking help from trusted pest control professionals would be the right way to go about it, you can also employ specific DIY hacks.
- One of the first things you can do is find and destroy their mound/anthill. You need to kill the ants deep inside their colony and add insecticide on top of the mound to eradicate unhatched eggs or immature offspring.
- You can also use granular insecticides to target their mounds individually to destroy them.
- Natural items like boiling water, vinegar, and baking soda to get rid of these ants and Diatomaceous Earth are effective in dealing with fire ants. Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective ant-killers out there, and placing them in the ant entryways can solve the problem of “how to get rid of ants permanently”. Diatomaceous Earth is made from remains of diatoms. Basically, by sprinkling them, ants dry and die. While it’s a natural effective and safe method, its dust can make the house messy and would need reapplication.
- An easy answer to ‘how to get rid of ants’ can be the use of chalk. With the main ingredient being calcium carbonate, if a thick chalk line is drawn, it can confuse an ant’s scent trail and confuse them. They will be incapable of picking up scent trails of other ants and eventually die off. While its easy and a cheap method, it’s not long lasting and will require frequent reapplication.
- The bite of fire ants can be excruciatingly painful and can even trigger allergic reactions for some people. So, it is best to seek professional help when you encounter one of those painful bites from a venomous critter!
How do you get rid of ants outside the house?
The most effective way to get rid of ants outside the house is by getting rid of the food source that attracts them. This can be done by making sure there are no crumbs or other food sources that have been left out around your home. Ants will need to find their way back into the soil to survive, so if you keep your home clean and free of food sources, then you should be able to prevent them from coming back inside.
How to get rid of ant hills?
Fire ants are known to build ant hills and if you have fire ants in your backyard, then you are in for some unwanted stinging guests who will capture the place. Ant hill appears in any place once the queen has mated and the ant hill is made to safeguard the area, so that the ants can thrive there. As the colony grows, the area of the ant hill expands with many tunnels and entries and exits. It is an extremely difficult task to get rid of fire ants once the anthill is made.
While you can see ant hills clearly, many times they are also hidden. To find the existence of an ant hill in your backyard, follow the trail of ants as they may lead you to the ant hill.
You can clear an ant hill by using boiling water. Pour a bucket of boiling water on the ant hill. This will destroy the ant hill and also the temperature of the water will kill the ants. However, what can also happen is there may be some ants which may be deep buried and not die because of the hot water. They get back to make the ant hill. Look out for ants after 2-3 days of this exercise and repeat if you find them.
What is the fastest way to get rid of ants in the house?
There are several ways to get rid of ants in your house. Some of the most effective methods include:
Cleaning: This is perhaps the easiest method, but it can be time-consuming. You should scrub all surfaces where the ants are coming from. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to suck up any dead ants or eggs that may have been left behind by the colony.
Ant bait: Ant baits are another way to remove ants from your home. They will attract and kill them on contact, so you don’t have to use chemicals or sprays around food or pets. There are several types available depending on how quickly you want results, so make sure you choose one that works well for you!
Carpet deodorising paste: If you haven’t changed out your carpet in some time, it’s best to do so before trying any other methods since carpet is such a good hiding place for ants! You can buy deodorising paste at most hardware stores and apply it directly onto any areas where there might be an ant infestation. This should take care of any lingering issues quickly!
What smell do ants hate?
Ants are attracted to the smell of sugar, but they do not like the smell of bleach or ammonia. You can use these scents to attract ants to your property, but it is recommended that you also use a bait station to keep them away from your home.
Why is a professional pest control service better than DIY methods to eliminate ants?
Here are some reasons why opting for professional pest control services is better than using DIY methods to eliminate ants from your home.
- They are experienced. If you have not exterminated ants before, getting rid of them can be a reasonably tricky ordeal. With experienced professionals, things can get a lot easier.
- Getting professional help can be the safest option. The bites of some of these ants can be extremely painful. When you get professional service, you won’t have to worry about getting bitten as these professionals are always equipped with safety apparatus.
- Some DIY methods include dangerous chemicals bought from the market, so getting professional help can be the right choice as ant exterminators generally use non-toxic, eco-friendly, exterminating agents that safeguard the health of your family members. They do not create any pungent smell as well.
- Professional ant control experts can do a thorough clean-up job. Getting rid of ants permanently is a common question, and the methods can be extensive and complex. Their job starts with surveying the level of infestation, the typical entry points of ants, their habitat within your premises, the reasons why the infestation is occurring, and finally employing all the relevant solutions to end the entire ant population in your house.
- Finding the hiding spots of these ants and destroying them permanently is a job best left to these experts, as they are generally locals and have extensive knowledge about multiple species of ants – their habits and their habitats. They also revisit the site from time to time to assess the nature and extent of their solutions.
It could take a lot of time, effort and experience to get rid of ants from your home, and not many people have all of that. So, if you have an ant infestation in your home, make sure to contact professional ant exterminators to get a thorough job done.
How long does it take to get rid of an ant infestation?
Ants are mostly active during the day and night. They prefer to live near food sources and water sources. For this reason, it is very important to take care of an ant infestation as soon as possible. If you wait until their population grows too large, then it will become impossible for you to get rid of them. Sooner or later, your home will become infested with ants, and you will have no choice but to call an exterminator for them to get rid of all those unwanted creatures from your home.
The exterminator may need to come back more than once to completely eradicate your ant infestation. The improvement should be noticeable quickly, but complete elimination can take several weeks to a few months.
Do killing ants attract more ants into your house?
Smells are used by ants to communicate. Different signals are passed on using the different smells and thus ants act based on them. When ants die, they release oleic acid once their body starts to decay and this is how other ants come to know.
Which is the most foolproof way to get rid of Ants permanently?
How to get rid of ants permanently is a common question people ask worldwide. Finding the entryways, sealing them, and keeping your house thoroughly clean are some of the best ways to get rid of ants permanently.
What attracts ants inside the house?
Sugary sweets and food crumbs can attractants in your house, along with damp spots.
Why are ants considered dangerous?
Ants can contaminate your food, give you painful bites, and be a general nuisance in your home. They are pretty dangerous, especially certain species like black ants, carpenter ants, and fire ants. Some of them even cause property loss and result in your financial burden.
|Got any questions or point of view on our article? We would love to hear from you.Write to our Editor-in-Chief Jhumur Ghosh at email@example.com|