Is anthurium a good indoor plant?
Anthurium belongs to the Araceae family and is a symbol of hospitality. There are close to 1,000 flowering species of anthurium. It is also known as tail flower, flamingo flower, and lace leaf. While large, heart-shaped, red anthurium flowers are commonly found, you can also get these flowers in yellow, burgundy, green, pink, white colours, etc. Although the pretty anthurium can grow outside in hot weather, it often finds place inside many houses and makes for a good indoor plant, matching with the home décor. Read on to know how to grow and take care of anthurium plants and get one for your house.
What are the benefits of an anthurium plant?
- This easy to maintain plant, while being a good luck plant, is also listed in NASA’s air purifying plants group, making it a popular indoor plant everywhere.
- The dark green leaves of an anthurium absorb ammonia, formaldehyde, toluene and xylene from air, thus, purifying the home.
See also: All about Areca Palm benefits
How to grow anthurium plants indoor?
- To plant an anthurium by cutting its stem, take a pot and ensure proper drainage of water by making a small hole at the bottom of the pot.
- Take the anthurium stem, trim its leaves while leaving at least one leaf bud in the stem.
- Plant the anthurium cutting in the pot in a way there is some distance between the pot’s base and the cutting so that the plant’s roots can develop in a few weeks’ time. Try to take a big pot where the anthurium can continue to grow for a long time to avoid repotting (repotting is not necessary in case of anthurium).
- Fill the pot with clay, manure and water it regularly. Note, when you water the soil, it needs to be moist and not be soaked in water.
- Anthurium are epiphytic in nature. They grow on other plants instead of soil. As the plant grows, you will notice it may start stooping or falling. Give additional support to an anthurium by tying it with a stick or a garden skewer/garden stake.
How do I take care of my anthurium?
Anthuriums are native to South America, Central America and the Caribbeans. Thus, they grow beautifully in places with high humidity. To take care of it, regularly water it whenever the top layer of soil appears to be dry.
Also read all about Jade plants benefits and how to take care of them
Does anthurium need direct sunlight?
Anthurium needs medium to bright sunlight for its flowers to bloom but can also grow in low sunlight. Keep the anthurium in a place that gets sunlight. However, avoid direct sunlight for the plant to grow and blossom.
How often do you water anthurium?
An indoor anthurium plant requires a medium level of water. Watering the anthurium plant also depends on the season. If it is summer, water the plant every two to three days. If it’s rainy or winter season, water as per the need of the plant. Let the soil dry before you water. Ensure that the water drains out completely from the pot.
Also read: Snake plant maintenance tips
How to trim the anthurium plant?
While trimming the anthurium plant, take the top-down approach. Prune all the old, dry leaves and dead flowers of the stem’s base.
Is an anthurium plant good Feng Shui?
Love and friendship, both are related to the heart-shaped anthurium flowers. As per Feng Shui plants, anthurium is considered lucky in relationships. It is believed that placing an anthurium plant in the south-west corner of a house, brings luck.
When to water anthurium plants?
You can water anthurium plants once in two days or when the top layer of soil gets dry.
What is the most suitable direction for an anthurium plant as per Feng Shui?
The most suitable direction for an anthurium plant is the south-west corner of a house as per Feng Shui.